Friday, January 2, 2015

Looking back on 2014


https://www.etsy.com/shop/a2seacreations

As I ponder 2014, there are so many things that made this year so special and memorable.  Nothing particularly elaborate or impressive.  But special, nonetheless.

What I have learned personally is the true value of friendship and the need people have for one another.  In this day and age, we have more ways of communicating than ever, and yet, many of us... (dare I say most?) are glued to our mobile devices and online social networks.  Thanks to the internet we can connect instantaneously and yet, there are still so many lonely people removed from vital human contact and companionship.  I am a prime example of computer excessiveness.  But over the last few months, I have found myself pulling away more and more from the computer and craving physical connection.  I made a point of inviting friends to our home over the holidays and I must say, I am all the better for it.

At the beginning of the holidays, I was feeling inexplicably down in the dumps.  I could not pinpoint the reason, really.  Perhaps it was a combination of not being able to visit my Oregon family this year, missing my dad who passed away not long ago, and my business partner taking off to her winter home, hence, missing her friendship, laughter and the joy of creating together.  Throw in a couple of funerals into the mix, a little menopause and blam!  Who knows?  Anyhow, for whatever reason, I could not get into the spirit of the season.  A friend commented how she was concerned to hear that I had only just put up my Christmas tree on December 14th, as she knows how early I normally have everything decorated.

Anyhow, I needed to somehow change how I was feeling.  Who needs a 'grumpy gus' at Christmas?  So I threw myself into spending time with friends and doing a few special things for people.  I enjoyed a fabulous Christmas tea with a couple of my gal pals at our favourite cafe in Qualicum Beach... Cafe Brie.  Another time I made some Christmas goodies and little gifts for the staff where I work.  I invited a neighbour over who I knew was going to be alone over the holidays.  Anyhow... you get the idea.  What I soon discovered was, I was feeling better; decorating, baking, and becoming my old self again.

So the moral of the story... when I start to do things for other people, I stop thinking about myself so much.  When I concentrate on finding ways to make others happy, I can't help but become happier myself.   Humans need each other... we need connection, we need purpose, we need to make a difference.  When we reach out, we change.  It's simple, really.

On that note, my hubby and I were invited out for a Christmas Eve get together, as well as a Christmas day brunch with friends.  So we were blessed by others as well. 

As for A2Sea Creations, we are now into our seventh year.  Who knew?   In September, we were heavily involved in the first ever 'Etsy Made In Canada Day' held in cities across Canada.  It was a privilege to take part and to meet so many wonderfully friendly and talented Vancouver Island artisans.

Cheryl and I have learned a lot over the years and have been blessed by our wonderful, loyal customers.  We also value the friendships we have made along the way.  We would like to take a moment to thank Esther of Newfoundland to Nanaimo and Patti at the Parksville Tourist Centre for continuing to carry our seaside creations and appreciating our work.  It's been a pleasure ladies.

Happy New Year to all of our friends, family and customers.  We wish you all only the best life has to offer. 

https://www.etsy.com/shop/a2seacreations
 Micki of A2Sea Creations - Etsy Made in Canada Day

https://www.etsy.com/shop/a2seacreations
Cheryl of A2Sea Creations - Etsy Made in Canada Day

No comments: