Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Magic of Winter

'WINTER WALK' - PHOTOART BY MICKI FINDLAY

It is so pretty outside today... our Christmas lights glow with their magical hues against the perfect white backdrop of our very first snowfall this year. Everything is so quiet and peaceful. I have some Christmas baking to do today and what a perfect day for it! I wonder if we will have a white Christmas this year? I can always dream. One would think that my eight years in Mackenzie BC would have cured me of that desire, but not so. Although I must admit, six months of snow is a bit much. I am glad to be living on Vancouver Island.

My sons, Gordon and Matthew, loved the winters in Mackenzie, however. They were just little boys and did not seem to notice or care that they went on for so long. I recall the snow forts they built and the numerous tunnels we shoveled to make a 'maze' of sorts through the entire front yard. It was a magical time for them as they played endlessly in the snow, decked out from head to toe in various layers of clothes, snowsuits, scarves, toques, mittens and winter boots. I always dreaded when they would have to come in to go to the bathroom because it seemed to take forever to undress and redress them for the brutal cold. Some days it felt like that was all I did all day! But they could not play outside all the time because Mackenzie can get down to 40 below at times. You didn't go anywhere on those days unless you absolutely had to. So as fun as it was for my boys, I am glad to be back here on the island alright. Brrrrr!......

I am almost done my Christmas shopping... only a couple more things to buy. Our house is all decorated and ready for David's son, daughter and their partners to come and celebrate with us on Christmas Eve. I still cannot figure out how I managed to stuff a Christmas tree in my little Hyundai but I did. That car has certainly served me well, although it is sounding pretty rough these days. I have loaded everything in that car including loads of firewood!

I hope that this Christmas is extra special for everyone this year. I am saddened to hear of various Christmas school concerts that have completely bypassed the whole Christmas message. I know that has been happening for quite awhile now, as far as the baby Jesus is concerned. But I am told that now there isn't even an elf or a jingle bell! And they are now called 'Winter Concerts'. Hmmm..... political correctness seems to be our modern day 'Scrooge' and it is sapping the life, joy and magic right out of the season. How ridiculous!

Well I will not let Scrooge get me down! Merry Christmas everyone! And a very happy new year!

Luke 2:9-12
And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with fear. And the angel said to them, “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.”

No comments: